Preventative cleaning, it is somewhat like preventative healthcare. You go to the doctor for checkups in order to keep big issues at bay. Preventative cleaning is simply taking smalls steps to ensure the dirt stays outside where it belongs and not in your home.
There are many things you can do to keep the dirt out and minimize your cleaning days such as;
- Place “welcome” mats outside all your doors, this not only looks nice and inviting but it will remove excess dirt and mud from shoes when people walk over them.
- Have a set room (if possible) where guests and family members can come into the home and remove shoes right as they enter. This keeps all the dirt to one room. This is especially helpful during winter months to avoid salt and snow from getting all over the house.
- Vacuum and sweep with a broom daily, this will help avoid a buildup of dirt in your carpets and linoleum or hardwood floors.
- If you have children during the summer months keep a small basin of water on the porch, and have them dip their feet in before entering the home. Kids naturally enjoy running around outside with no shoes, but their little feet get dirty so this will help to avoid tiny feet prints on the floors.
- Use wax paper, if you have ledges or shelves that are high up and cannot be cleaned on a regular basis, line them with wax paper that way once a week or month you can switch out the wax paper and it removes the dirt that accumulated up there. Just be careful not to tip the wax paper as you are removing it.
- Wash up dishes as you use them or rinse and place in the dishwasher. This tip will keep your sink empty and counters free from dishes.
- Give the older kids chores. Offer a small payment for their services. Things like changing the trash or cleaning up after a family pet and even tidying up their rooms can all be helpful and it gives them a sense of responsibility.
By keeping up with the daily dirt you can avoid being overwhelmed with it, taking small steps daily can be very beneficial. There are also services out there that will provide “up keep cleaning care” if that is the way you would prefer to go. Get in touch with local cleaning agencies and see what is offered in your area.